The Man in the Moon

Response to Text
Choose at least 3 questions to answer in your book . You may need to watch the clip again to get a deeper meaning .
In the first 5 seconds, how does the girl feel? How do you know? How old is she?
In the opening scene, what tells us that one of the characters might have an interest in space?
Who do you think owns the telescope?
Do you think the girl’s brother will have the same interest? Why not? What computer game might he be playing…Space Invaders?
Has she used the telescope before? How do you know?
How does she feel when she sees the man on the moon? Why does she wave?
Who do you think the old man is? Why?
How old might he be?
At 43 seconds, how do we know she is desperate to get home to the telescope?
Do you think the man is lonely? What makes you think this? Has he always been alone?
At 56 seconds, what is symbolic of this image and what does it make the girl think to do?
Why do you think the girl writes to the old man rather than Santa (which all the other children will be doing at this time of year)? What does this tell us about the girl’s character?
What do you think is in the letter? How might it be different to a typical ‘Dear Santa’ letter?
Can you think of a way in which she can get the letter to the moon? Predict whether these will work.
From which room in the house does she try and send the letter? Why?
How does she try and send it? She fails. How do both the girl and the old man feel? How do they show their feelings? Would you feel the same way?
What type of Christmas does the girl have? How is it different to the old man? Is this similar to your Christmas? What does Christmas mean to you?
What do mum and dad buy the girl for Christmas?
Does the girl like her present? How does she show this?
If the girl likes her present so much, why does she give it away? What does this tell us about the girl’s character? Do you think this is a good way to be? Why? Why not?
What do you notice about the colour of the moon and the man? How are they linked and what effect does this have? How does this add to our understanding of the character?
How does that change when the present appears? What do you think the present is?
How does the old man feel? Why does he cry? Is crying always a sad thing?
After Christmas is over, do you think the old man and the girl will keep in touch and continue their friendship?

One thought on “The Man in the Moon

1. Dear Miss Cosgrave
    I love this video it makes me cry happy at the end. And I want to tell you I think I’m going to a new school near by my house